Welcome to Spring Valley!
Commercial development in Richardson originated in the Main Street area and expanded north into the Interurban area in the 1950s with new commercial and industrial space. The growth of Texas Instruments in the 1960s along the Richardson/Dallas border spurred new commercial development in the adjacent Spring Valley area, bringing new jobs that would support Richardson's growing technology and telecommunications industries.
Today, the Spring Valley area is home to several restaurants, local markets and bakeries, and the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) Spring Valley Station with both bus and light rail service. The area is also home to two unique historical attractions.
Historical Marker - Wheeler School
400 S Greenville Avenue, Richardson, TX 75081
Kentuckian William J. (Uncle Billy) Wheeler came to this part of Texas soon after the end of the Civil War. In 1870 he deeded land to the Houston and Texas Central Railway for the townsite that became the city of Richardson and for the railroad right-of-way. In 1880 Wheeler provided a public school just northwest of this site for Richardson area children. After the Wheeler Schoolhouse burned in 1900, classes moved into a new, two-story, four-room, structure on this site. By this time the Richardson Independent School District had been created. In 1914 the frame schoolhouse was replaced with a two-story, red brick structure. The eight-room schoolhouse was staffed by five teachers. In 1927 two wings were added to house the increased enrollment brought about by the consolidation of the Richardson and Addison High schools. Further consolidation of surrounding common school districts in the 1930s and a population boom in the 1950s expanded school enrollment and created the need for other facilities. The red brick schoolhouse served only elementary grades from 1952 until 1960, when it began to serve as the district administration building. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Historical Marker - McKamy Springs
600 Brick Row, Richardson, TX 75081
Before any European or American settlers entered Texas, Native American tribes passed through the Richardson area and likely camped around what is now known as McKamy Spring. These tribes met with settlers, one of the friendliest being the Yoiuane (later absorbed by the Tonkawa), Comanche, Kickapoo, Seminoles and Cherokee around North Texas may have also used McKamy Spring, one of the few natural above-ground springs still in existence in the area. The early American settlement of Breckenridge, which preceded Richardson, made frequent use of the spring then known as Bowser Spring. After a railroad line was built nearby, Breckenridge faded away, as the new town of Richardson was built closer to the railroad. By 1925, the town became officially incorporated, with Thomas McKamy as its first Mayor. Thomas Franklin McKamy was born in Carrollton in 1889. His family owned and operated a drug and general merchandise store in Richardson. After his father’s death in 1907, McKamy and his brother took over the business. McKamy expanded into ownership of other businesses in the area. McKamy came to serve various positions in the local government, including Mayor. He drew from Bowser Spring to supply water to the drills in constructing wells and other eater systems in the town. The spring also supplied water for machinery in the construction of the US Highway 75 Central Expressway. He later purchased the land around the spring and built a home there in 1953. The spring became renamed as McKamy Spring, and Thomas McKamy himself placed a marker there to acknowledge the original Native Americans who likely used this spring. (2015)
EAT & DRINK